Makes 8 servings.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 chorizo sausage
- 2 large 28 oz. cans of stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- *Optional* (1 cup chopped taro root, chopped turmeric and 1 stalk lemon grass)
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup rice
- ½ pouch Fire Belly “Original” or “Dirty Hot”
Depending on your heat preference. Of course our Caribbean or Chipotle goes good as well.
1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers; cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften.
2. Stir in tomatoes, water, garlic, chorizo sausage, sweet potato, quinoa, rice and Fire Belly. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 45 minutes.
3. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or just until shrimp turn pink and rice and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
- I always try to add things to my recipes that are really beneficial for us but we don’t necessarily eat often. The benefits of turmeric are unquestionable; I will have a blog about this at a later date, however it is a bit bitter. Lemon grass has a great flavour just take it out when you’re finished. Taro root if you can find it has a great flavour and also very beneficial.
A simple dish, but ohhh so yummy!